Monday, October 22, 2012

The number five strike


One of the most popular strikes is the one which comes in from over head.  Me, I don't like it quite as much as some others, but I do have to admit that it is good in tight places, shield walls and such.  My biggest problem is that my arm is always exposed right out there.  Below, I have extended my arm a little too much for the strike, and the Samurai is happily bringing the flat of his sword up against the blade, and stepping out from under the strike.  Note that the strike does not come straight down on my opponent....but rather directly towards his face. 


As the Samurai stepped to his left, my sword slides down his sword.  The samurai lets it slide all it wants, right to the ground if need be.  If he brings it back into play too soon, my sword "might" slide under his swords tip, and go into his leg or foot. 

 Below you can see the same move as the Samurai moves off to his right. 

above...move to the right.  point the handle to the right and follow the handle.  Below, move to the left, point the handle to the left and follow the handle.



Normally of course, both our arms would not be out there as much as in the pictures.  I like to keep my elbows in more tightly in the attack and step in a little closer.  But as you can see, it is very hazardous to be this one sword length away.  In the last picture, the red knight's sword is prepared to slide under my sword and throw it away, or perhaps simpy open my belly.

Mr. Talhoffer shows in his book 7 different strikes to do with your sword over there on the left. 
     As ususal, the fight is not won by the strike but by the counter strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment